Oh how I remember first grade. Mrs. Stetson was my teacher, and when I started I was sure that I already knew more than she did. I don't know where or how I learned to read, but I had already mastered that skill before I started first grade, and it got me into big trouble. I sat in the back of my row in the class, and one day, Mrs. Stetson gave some kind of assignment which I ignored, because I wanted to read my book. The next thing I knew, she was standing over me and yelling, saying that I was NOT paying attention to her....then WHAP....she hit the back of my hand with a ruler, and I yelped. Believe me, that was the last time I tried that little trick. I also remembered her punishing poor Leroy Owens (a blue baby), and it made me cry. Those were the days when teachers could do whatever they wanted to maintain discipline. Many students during my grade school days, were sent to the office for a paddling from Mr. Staples, the principle. An interesting note...Mrs. Stetson actually came to my wedding reception as did my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Polly Gilbert.
Second grade brought Mrs. Eagan, a teacher that I really really liked. I have two memories of that class. The first one was a read aloud experience where I had the word 'machine' to read, in a very difficult book (so I thought). I remember sounding it out and saying MACH- een, instead of Ma SHEEN. She did praise me for a good try, however. The other experience was when she was handing out parts for the Christmas program. Of course I thought I was brilliant and wonderful and should obviously be given a large part, but.....as she went around the class, skipping over me, assigning parts, I decided I was not even going to be IN the show, let alone have a big part. But I was wrong. She came to me last of all and offered me the role of Mrs. Santa Claus. I was to be the 'star.' It was an amazing experience, and probably the humble beginnings of my love for the theater...little did I know then that I would be doing what I do now....theater wise.
By third grade, in Mrs. Davis' class, I was less cocky and really became interested in learning. I don't have any outstanding memories of the class itself, but this is the time I became interested in Blue Birds and began forming friendships that would last for years.
In fourth grade, with Mrs. McDonough (I thought she was quite old), I learned to play the Tonette (quite well I might add) and I had my first boyfriend. His name was Stephen Miller. On Valentines Day he gave me a valentine that he signed with the words, "I love you and I'm not kidding." I was on cloud nine, needless to say. Those were the days when students were not required to give everyone a valentine or the same amount of cards to each person, and I remember counting with my friends to see who got the most. I must have become a lot nicer by then, because I always got a pretty big pile of cards.
Fifth grade was one of my joys of grade school. Polly Gilbert (who came to my wedding if you remember) was my teacher, and probably one of my favorite teachers of all time. She had my number. She knew I was an eager learner and she gave me many opportunities to grow. One that I remember (that she used to keep me busy because I always finished my work so quickly) was to have me re-copy National Geographic articles in long hand, which would then be mounted on colored paper next to the appropriate picture, and arranged on the bulletin board. Not only did my penmanship skills imrove (I should be so lucky now) but the knowledge I gained from reading all these wonderful articles was just amazing. Smart lady, that Mrs. Gilbert. She also introduced me to Spanish. I can still sing the little songs she taught us, and I was again cast in another play, all in Spanish, in which I had the lead. Gretchen Wolf, one of my friends, played the part of Rosa, and that name stuck. We called her Rosa for years....
Sixth grade was with Mrs. Jones ( I maintained a friendship with her until she moved from Phoenix several years ago, because she was no longer able to live alone. I would go visit her at her house when I went home to visit my family, and she would play the piano and I would sing. She lived about a block from my house.) This was one large class. We had 55 students in the room, and they could barely fit the desks in. She was a good and loving disciplinarian, however, so it continued to be a learning atmosphere. My most memorable moments were the study of all the Greek and Roman Gods. We drew beautiful chalk murals on the blackboards depicting the various scenes from mythology. This was also the year that I won the school spelling bee. I went to district competition and screwed up on the word 'cinnamon.' You guessed it. I switched the m's and the n's. I could spell every other word in the contest....but I was NOT the winner. (After thinking about the spelling bee, that might have been in 7th or 8th grade, but it matters not.)
All the above experiences were at Longview School, part of the Osborn District. They also had a wonderful music program, and I was able to play Buttercup in HMS Pinafore, participate in the Nutcracker, and sing in the school choir. They also had a Home economics program, and that is where I learned to sew. I not only made a pot holder, but I made a 4 gore skirt. It taught me enough skills that, with my mother's further tutelage, from that point on I made about 90% of my own clothes.
Another vivid memory is of purchasing Savings Stamps and Savings Bonds at school during WWII. I still will never understand how my purchase of these stamps would help the starving children in Europe. No one ever really explained that little bit, but every week I would take my pennies to school and buy my stamps, which I glued in a book.
My favorite memories of those years were Bluebirds and Campfire Girls, howevever. Mrs. Solomon was one of our leaders (her daughter Carolyn was one of my friends.) Others in the group that I remember were Catherine Hogg, Barbara Basham, Kay Kincaid, Gretchen Wolf, Charlotte, Gretchen Ziegler, and Rosemary Tolliver. I went through all the ranks of Campfire and became a Torchbearer. I had my ceremonial gown filled with strings of beads, and my name was Da Shu Denksa (part of it meant butterfly, but I don't remember the rest.) I can still sing "Burn Fire Burn." It was after 4th grade that I began attending Camp Wamatochick in Prescott with these girls. That will be another chapter.
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment