Saturday, November 8, 2008

Little Shop of Horrors


I haven't added anything new to my blog in ages because I have been wound up tighter than a drum working on three major projects. The first is the wonderful show, Little Shop of Horrors, which I have had the privilege of producing for the Camarillo Community Theatre.

I had forgotten how time consuming producing could be, not having been involved with a project since 2004, when I produced The Sound of Music, also for CCT. I have spent countless hours on the computer, writing sides, preparing for auditions, copying forms, writing press releases, and just about everything else you can think of, not to mention the time running back and forth between rehearsals, shopping and making leaves for Audrey II, and fixing the food for the opening night gala.

We only had 23 people audition for 9 parts, but we managed to get the most amazing cast. Elizabeth Stockton was cast as Audrey, Daniel Ross Noble as Seymour, Larry Shilkoff as Mr. Musnik, Patrick Beckstead as Orin et al, Ella Bowen as Ronette, Jodie Morse as Crystal, Ashley Driskell as Chiffon, Hannah Davey as the voice of Audrey II, and Janelle Meister and Keaghlan Bier as the puppeteer for Audrey II. We lost Janelle early on due to an injury, but Keaghlan very nicely covered for her.

This cast, under the direction of Jeff Wallach, who also choreographed the show, and under the musical direction of Marina Pogosyan, has turned out a WONDERFUL show. Sean Harrington designed Audrey II, and this was her debut show. (Audrey II, that is.)

I have enjoyed attending as many performances as possible, and one AWFUL night, I actually had to run the sound. I was a total basket case, being the techie that I am NOT, but it went just fine. Juanita Seavey, our Stage Manager, had to cue me a couple of times over the headset, but all went well.

We managed to get two wonderful reviews, but are still having trouble getting the people out to see the show. I guess these economic times are just playing havoc with many pocketbooks, but hopefully our last 8 performances will bring in more audience members.

Hats off to the cast and crew! I love you all!

No comments: