Saturday, April 30, 2011

Carlsbad Reunion

Stone and Jaxon
Just realized that I NEVER did write up our lovely family reunion trip last summer in Carlsbad, CA.  We were lucky enough to be able to secure enough condos for the whole family at the Pacific Palisades resort in Carlsbad last summer.  You may have seen spring pictures of the area.  They have acres of flower fields that bloom on the hill on which the resort sits.

We started our trip July 4th, the perfect time for  GOOD summer beach weather, right?  NOT!  It was cold and dreary that day, but we did have a great vantage point from Audrey's window to watch the Fireworks that night, and in spite of the weather, we had a great day.
The Parry kids

We thought it would get better, because our family has lots of kids and grandkids that would rather do NOTHING more than just spend the day at the beach boogie boarding, but alas, we were not to be so lucky.  During the entire 7 days, the temperature never went above 60, and we NEVER saw the sun, but we didn't let that daunt us. I can't give a day by day blow, because that would be boring, but I can tell you the highlights.

Audrey and Steve at the Pier
Audrey and Matthew
Wesley and Brandon
The first day we headed to the pier in Carlsbad and spent a lovely time walking the pier and ending up with  ice cream.   It wasn't too thrilling, but very atmospheric.  I LOVE piers.  We also spent time at the local outlet mall, where we were madly looking for clothes for the photo shoot that Liz had arranged for us.  Her friend came to the beach and we spent an afternoon taking some amazing family photos...thanks Liz.
Kylie and LaMar

J.J. (Josh)














Wesley and Stone, best buds
I had chartered a catamaran at Captain Dave's Dolphin Safari on which WE would be the only passengers.  Rick, Liz, Carlee, Shay and Madison joined us for this adventure.  (They were also able to stay a couple of nights with us. )When we got there, they decided to upgrade us to the larger catamaran at no extra charge, which was absolutely wonderful.  We had SO much room to run around on. The kids LOVED laying out on the webbing where they could almost touch the water when they put their hands through the holes. I love Captain Dave.  He is truly a man who loves his work.

Madison and Sophia
We had been out quite a while, not having seen even a single Dolphin, when they told us they had spotted a school of dolphins about a mile in one direction, but they had also spotted a blue whale about a mile in a different direction, and they asked us which we wanted.  We chose the whale of course, and everyone went forward to see if

he could be the first to spot the spout.  (My, how poetic.)  With all eyes peeled forward, it was exciting.  I believe Wesley was the first one to see the whale blow as we barreled full speed towards it.

Some people just sat and relaxed.
Notice the excitement




Our whale was probably about 70-80 ft. as estimated by the staff.  We stayed out there with it for about 20-30 minutes, watching it blow and submerge, over and over.  We saw two beautiful flukes, and Matthew got an extraordinary picture of the one fluke.  We were as close as about 20 feet to the whale at times.  It was fun watching the footprint and anticipating where it would resurface.  It was truly an exciting half hour, and the trip back to the dock was full of talk about 'our' whale.

Sophia, Laker and Kylie on the Catamaran
Sea lions



Rick and Liz







The next day we all headed for Sea World, which is one of my favorite theme parks.  I LOVE Shamu and all the other animals.  The rides aren't too shabby, either.  We watched two different Shamu shows, and I think we were able to see almost all of the other shows, plus ride on all the rides.  It was a FUN day.  We had a lot of wet people come off the water ride, however.  I went home drenched.


A lot of wet people









Stone, Jaxon Laker and Kylie


Kristina and Sophia
We had one great BBQ where we commandeered two of the condo's BBQs and cooked an amazing variety of delicious items.    We kind of took turns cooking on the nights we didn't go out.  One day I made graham cracker chocolate goodies with the kids, and they seemed to really enjoy it.  Even 3 year old Luke was able to dip his in the chocolate and have them look good.  They were yummy, to boot.
Lisa and LaMar



Stone and LaMar
On Friday we decided to brave the beach, weather and all, and it wasn't so bad.  The water was not that cold, so the kids actually had a good time boogie boarding.  Laker and Jaxon amazed me with their skills.  I have videos, but can't get them to download to this blog.  Sigh!

As we were going home, I was helping load things into LaMar's car, and in the process, lost my cell phone.  AWFUL!  When I realized I didn't have it, we went back to the beach and searched, and left the information at the lifeguard station in case someone turned it in.  I was so bummed.

Happy Luke






Bundled Wesley

Liz and Evan



Our final morning we stopped at this amazing restaurant for a breakfast you wouldn't believe.  The line of people was huge for ordering, but eventually it was our turn and we ordered and ate our delicious meal.    Then it was onward to home, to await another year where we can again find a good place we can all meet.  (Spence and I added to our Time Share while were were there, buying a small portion of the new Hilton, which is in partnership with Pacific Palisades.  It is called Mar Brisa, and sits right above Legoland, about a mile or two from where we were.

Surfers

Evan, Linda, Spence, Courtney, Audrey and LaMar













Sophia, Luke and Wesley

Brandon

Happy parents
PS..  LaMar and Lisa headed to Leo Carillo for their annual campout, and one day, when they went to move the windshield wiper, guess what they found?  My cell phone...neatly stashed in the little hole beneath the wipers.  It was just fine, and we couldn't believe it.

No comments: