Friday, August 22, 2008

Little Women: Aunt March or Maxine

I recently had the opportunity to understudy the role of Aunt March/Mrs Kirk in a production of Little Women the Musical in Simi Valley. NO, this isn't my picture, but it gives you an idea of the character I played. One of my friends said it was like watching Maxine play the role, and I took that as a great compliment. Actually, Maxine is my idol....love all her cartoons.


In our local Simi Valley production, we had the most incredible cast of daughters (see flyer below). Anna Graves, Jo; Liz Stockton, Meg; Tessa Grady, Beth; and Dawn Notagiacomo, Amy, were amazing. Marmee, played by Chris Zirbel was equally as amazing. I had seen a professional production of the show, starring Maureen McGovern, and I don't think that cast could hold a candle to our local cast.

I was understudying Kim Blake, who had a big family hoo hah which gave me the opportunity to do the role(s) for two performances. I had never performed for the director, David Ralphe, before our brush-up rehearsal, so I was literally scared spitless. The first night was a bit scary, but I felt like I nailed the role on Sunday...a great feeling. It was also my first time to try an Irish accent (used by Mrs. Kirk, the boarding house super).

HY Katlein's comment on Goldstar.com was: (my first internet review...tee hee)

"This was a beautiful presentation of a standard, set to music. This performance was well acted, very well presented and the music and orchestra were terrific. We saw this presentation with 3 understudies and they were all great. Highly recommended."

I was exhausted during the show because the dressing rooms are downstairs, and I had 5 costume changes which meant I did a minimum of 7 flights for each performance, including the ups and downs to be 'miked' and to change back into my own clothes. I did it, however.

On the first night I actually threw a party at my house afterwards in honor of Spence's 74th birthday....Happy Birthday Spence!.

My next thespian adventures include producing Little Shop of Horrors for Camarillo Community Theatre and playing the role of Amanda in a world premiere of Meeting in Durango, a new play by Ray Malus, which will be performed in Canoga Park. Obviously I will be very busy for the next 3 months....exactly what makes me happy.

No comments: